I love Lookalike Audiences. They are one of the most effective targeting groups you can use with Facebook advertising.
Here’s why: Lookalike Audiences are a way to reach new people who are likely to be interested in your business because they're similar to customers you care about.
When you use Custom Audiences, you can choose to create a Lookalike Audience that targets people who are similar to your Custom Audience list. Lookalike Audiences help you reach people who are similar to your current customers.
A Custom Audience is created when you upload your email list to Facebook. Facebook then matches up your list with current Facebook users.
You can also create a Website Custom Audience by installing a pixel on your website to track visitors. This way you can followup with lost buyers and stay in front of people that are already interested in you or your product.
Here’s how it works:
Step 1: Create Your Custom Audience.
You can create a custom audience by uploading your email list to Facebook, or you can install a piece of code on your website to track visitors to your site.
Once your custom audience is ready you can create your lookalike audience.
Step 2: Create Your Lookalike Audience.
There are different types of Lookalike Audiences you can create. We’ll dive into these below...
You can create your lookalike audience by selecting Lookalike Audience from the drop down menu like so…
In the Source box, start typing the audience you want to use for your lookalike audience.
Then select the country you want to target. When you create a lookalike audience, you’ll have the option to create your audience based on Reach or Similarity.
Here’s are 6 different ways you can use Lookalike Audiences:
- Lookalike Audience based on Website Traffic: Install your Website Custom Audience on your website and then create lookalike audience based on your WCA.
- Lookalike Audience based on your Email List: Upload your email list to Facebook as a Custom Audience and create a Lookalike Audience based on your current email subscribers.
- Lookalike Audience based on your Facebook Fans: Just type the name of your Facebook Page in the ‘Source’ box and now you can target users that are similar to your current fans. Easy, breezy.
- Lookalike Audience based on Customers: Just like targeting your email list, but now we can narrow down just to the people that have actually bought from you. Upload your most current list to Facebook and create a lookalike audience based on the people that already buying from you.
- Lookalike Audience based on your Conversion Tracking Pixel: Whether you’re tracking sales, registrations or signups you can create a lookalike audience based on the people that are converting. You’ll find all of your conversion pixels listed in the ‘Source’ box so pick the pixel you want to create a new audience for and you’re set!
- Lookalike Audience based on Mobile App Users: Facebook isn’t leaving mobile app developers out of the loop. You can create lookalike audience based on your current users.
Ok, that’s it! Let me know in the comments… what’s your favorite way to use Lookalike Audiences?